An Aboriginal Growing Up In Sweden – Social Work & Addicition – The Last Of The Stolen Generation
Big Mike Salbro is one of the last people forcibly taken from their mother’s arms as a member of the stolen generation.
Mike’s story is full of twists, turns, tragedies and inspiration. He was adopted at just a few months old from a lovely Swedish woman and shortly after moved to Stockholm. Mike, alongside his brother (also Aboriginal and adopted in Brisbane) then grew up in Sweden coming through Swedish schools and the entire Swedish system.
Mike has now returned to Australia. Brisbane specifically and now works as a social worker after going through his journey in the social system supporting young indigenous people of Australia.
This chat meant a lot to me. Big Mike is a legend. I hope you enjoy it the same. Spread it far and wide and leave positive reviews.
Listen To The Podcast With Mike Salbro On Apple Here – Or Everywhere Else Below
Time Stamps On The Interview With Mike Salbro
- 00:00 – Introduction
- 01:35 – Mike’s Speaking Swedish
- 04:40 – Mike’s Journey Begins
- 07:59 – Mike’s Birth – The Last Of The Stolen Generation
- 15:05 – Mike Being Taken From His Mother
- 25:59 – Adoption & Life In The Foster Home
- 29:54 – Mike’s Swedish Mother
- 37:35 – Mike’s Swedish Childhood
- 41:55 – Horrible Anecdote About Macquarie
- 46:35 – On Being The Only Black Boy Around
- 53:00 – When Big Mike Found Out He Was Aboriginal
- 1:01:35 – Mike’s Troubles With Alcohol & The Law
- 1:06:35 – Mike Returning To Australia
- 1:16:35 – On Mike Meeting His Birth Mother
- 1:19:35 – Mike Returning To Sherberg
- 1:29:35 – Mike Ask’s Me What I Am Doing In Sweden
- 1:32:55 – What Big Mike Is Up To Now
- 1:48:15 – What Do You Miss Most From Sweden?
- 1:50:15 – What Is Something Sweden Can Use From Australia & Vice Versa?
Watch The Interview With Mike Salbro On Youtube Instead
Subscribe To My Newsletter – 🗒️ A Curious Worldview!
Cheers for reading through to the end you legend!
Every month (or couple of weeks) I write a short, popular email.
In it you will have your worldview expanded upon. It will either challenge your beliefs or open your eyes to something new. Never boring. Sometimes in will include things you don’t want to see. Sometimes it will be exactly what you were looking for.
It is free and the best thing you can do for me. If you are keen, chuck your email in below and then CHECK YOUR SPAM!
MAKE SURE YOU CHECK IF THE EMAIL GOES TO THE WRONG EMAIL FOLDER – PLEASE DRAG EMAIL INTO PRIMARY FOLDER