Listen To This Podcast With Matthew Friedman
On – Apple Podcasts Here 🎧
On – Spotify Here 🎤
Or – Everywhere Else Here 🎙️
Curious Things Mentioned During The Episode
Matthew Friedman | The Curious Worldview Podcast #153
This is a podcast about human trafficking and modern slavery.
The guest is Matthew Friedman, and he is the CEO of the Mekong Club, which is an organisation that mobilises the private sector to take action against human trafficking and modern slavery.
In this conversation, Matthew reveals unsettling story after unsettling story of human trafficking, modern slavery and scams. And in and among it all, he explains how it could be possible that today there are more slaves than has ever been before.
Matthew talks about pig butchering, the rise of online fraudsters and scam artists, the geography of slavery and human trafficking, what its like coming face to face with the criminal underworld around all this. His experiences advocating on behalf of victims and working with the UN to ultimately becoming disenfranchised to the point where he thought more good could be done in the private sector and much more as well.
This is a heavy episode, but as well I think it might be one of the best in this podcast’s short life.
Matthew is such an inspiring communicator and I am sure his work will leave as sizeable an indent on your worldview as it did on mine.
Time Stamps For Matthew Friedman
- 00:00 – Introduction
- 01:32 – Horrific Story From Nepal/India
- 05:25 – UN Versus NGO’s Versus Private Sector
- 11:19 – There Is More Slavery Today Than There Ever Has Been
- 15:40 – What Does Matthew Do To Stop Resentment?
- 20:25 – How Are Slavery Statistics Collected?
- 22:30 – How Does Rising Middle Class In Developing Economies Affect These Numbers?
- 28:50 – Pig Butchering & Harmcore
- 38:56 – Coming Face To Face With The Criminals
- 46:50 – The Role Of Offshore Finance & Money Laundering
- 52:40 – The Geography Of All Of This
- 1:00:10 – Red Light District In Amsterdam & ‘Taken’ & Jeffrey Epstein
- 1:11:30 – Africa
- 1:14:20 – China & Specific Example Of Manufacturers Exploiting Slavery & Greenwashing
- 1:29:30 – Role Of Serendipity In Matthew Friedman’s Life & Bullish Country & Conversation Between 2 People
Subscribe To My Newsletter – 🗒️ A Curious Worldview!
Cheers for reading through to the end you legend!
Every month (or couple of weeks) I write a short, popular email.
In it, you will have your worldview expanded upon. It will either challenge your beliefs or open your eyes to something new. Never boring. Sometimes in will include things you don’t want to see. Sometimes it will be exactly what you were looking for.
It is free and the best thing you can do for me. If you are keen, chuck your email in below and then CHECK YOUR SPAM!
MAKE SURE YOU CHECK IF THE EMAIL GOES TO THE WRONG EMAIL FOLDER – PLEASE DRAG EMAIL INTO PRIMARY FOLDER