The Development Inversion, Blood River, Africa’s Broken Heart & One Of The Best Adventures Of The 21st Century
🎙️ Listen To My Podcast With Tim Butcher 🎙️ Available On All Podcast Directories!
Tim Butcher On The Curious Worldview Podcast | #66
Tim Butcher is the guest on this episode of the podcast.
Tim served as a journalist for over 20 years with The Daily Telegraph newspaper in the United Kingdom, holding a series of positions including lead writer, war correspondent, African Bureau Chief, and serving as the Middle East Correspondent.
Tim Butcher travelled overland the great, powerful, consuming and hostile, lungs of the Earth which is the territory we know as the Democratic Republic of the Congo. And what makes this one of the great adventures is that at the time he did, and likely since as well, it had been over 100 years since someone had successfully completed the journey.
And unlike the rest of the world, the 100-year interlude had made things worse, rather than better.
I remember during my economics degree at university, we had to start changing the definition of countries from 1st, 2nd and 3rd world over to developed, developing, underdeveloped. But they need another definition for the Congo, because it as a nation does not fit into any of those categories. They are un-developing. The rate of progress in the Congo, is by all these arbitrary measures, in decline.
The Congo is both un-developing and underdeveloped, and such was the state of affairs in 2004 when Tim made this journey through the Congo.
You can expect to hear in this podcast about the following and more…
- The Risks Of The Congo
- The Beauty Of The Congo
- Tim Explainaing Why Progress Is Inverted In The Congo (This Is The Most Important Part)
- Corruptiopn & Kleptocracy Of The Congo
- + A Window Into Tim’s Latest Work
🎙️ Listen To My Podcast With Tim Butcher ↙️
Timestamps With Tim Butcher
- 00:00 – Introduction.
- 06:37 – What Makes Traveling The Congo So Exceptionally Difficult.
- 11:41 – The Risks Of Traveling Through The Congo.
- 35:21 – Why The Congo Is So Beautiful & The Unbelievability Of The Congo.
- 45:01 – Tim’s Motivation For Going To The Congo.
- 47:57 – Tim Explaining How Progress In The Congo Is Inverted.
- 1:08:21 – The Corruption, Kleptocracy & Crony Capitalism In The Congo.
- 1:13:47 – Why Nations Fail, Corruption & Giant Infrastructure Projects.
- 1:26:52 – Amazing Anecdote Regarding Health, Corruption & Covid.
- 1:29:28 – Classic Despotic African Corruption & Cliché Yachtlife.
- 1:31:50 – The Illusion Of Normalcy & What Makes A Nation.
- 1:46:46 – On Special Economic Zones In Africa.
- 2:01:36 – A Country You Are Most Bullish On.
- 2:04:06 – Afterthoughts & Ambition For The Podcast
Episodes Of The Curious Worldview Podcast Similar To This!
Tim Butcher Links
Subscribe To My Newsletter – 🗒️ A Curious Worldview!
Cheers for reading through to the end you legend!
Every month (or couple of weeks) I write a short, popular email.
In it, you will have your worldview expanded upon. It will either challenge your beliefs or open your eyes to something new. Never boring. Sometimes in will include things you don’t want to see. Sometimes it will be exactly what you were looking for.
It is free and the best thing you can do for me. If you are keen, chuck your email in below and then CHECK YOUR SPAM!
MAKE SURE YOU CHECK IF THE EMAIL GOES TO THE WRONG EMAIL FOLDER – PLEASE DRAG EMAIL INTO PRIMARY FOLDER