Prashant Kidambi, How Cricket Is An Expression Of Raucous Hyper Nationalism + Indias First Ever Cricket Team
🎙️ Listen To My Podcast With Prashant Kidambi 🎙️ Available On All Podcast Directories!
Prashant Kidambi | The Curious Worldview Podcast | #84
The following is a conversation with Prashant Kidambi.
Prashant is an Associate Professor in Colonial Urban History, at the University of Leicester. His work is largely on the history of British imperialism and the geographical expression that we today know as India.
It is in this interest that Prashant overlapped another great interest of his, cricket, that he published the book Cricket Country which also doubles as the subject of this podcast here.
Cricket country is the story of the first all Indian cricket team.
Today cricket is completely synonymous with India, and for good reason. It is truly the only sport in a country of more than a billion people, and the fanaticism with which Indian cricket fans celebrate their sport, rivals anything you get out of Spanish football fans, EPL die-hards or even central coast NRL tragics.
Cricket is often used as hyperbole and described as a religion in India, with deities the likes of MS Dhoni, Virat Kholi and the great Sachin Tendulkar.
I think the question of sport in creating a culture, and forming a unified identity is so interesting. With Prashant in this book Cricket Country, he does just that alongside the wonderful story of this eclectic bunch who made up the first Indian cricket team.
My hope is to more on this subject, particularly with cricket in the sub continent, so if anyone has ideas, please do reach out.
In This Podcast With Prashant Kidambi, You Can Expect To Hear About…
- India’s Caste System
- The Role Cricket Plays In Defining The Indian Culture
- Cricket A Modern Expression Of Indian Hyper Nationalism
- + More & More & More…
🎙️ Listen To My Podcast With Prashant Kidambi
Timestamps With Prashant Kidambi
- 00:00 – Introduction
- 03:48 – The Role Of Cricket In Defining A Culture.
- 10:22 – Lowest Rung In India’s Cast System.
- 15:44 – Technical Interruption.
- 16:34 – India As A Geographic Expression.
- 20:33 – Brief History From East India Company To Indian Independence.
- 26:18 – Does Today’s Indian Cricket Team Still Represent Indian Society?
- 32:18 – Does India Celebrate The Underdog?
- 42:03 – How Important Is Sport In Forming A Cultural Identity?
- 49:18 – Cricket As An Expression Of Raucous Hyper Nationalism.
- 1:02:13 – Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka?
- 1:06:48 – Does Cricket Transcend Class In India?
- 1:11:28 – Different Styles Of Cricket.
- 1:15:42 – What Else Did England Leave Behind?
- 1:17:28 – Country You Are Most Bullish On.
- 1:19:08 – Conversation Between Any Two People.
- 1:22:24 – Afterthoughts & Ambition For The Podcast.
Episodes Of The Curious Worldview Podcast Similar To This!
- Tim Butcher | Blood River & The Congo
Links To Prashant Kidambi
Subscribe To My Newsletter – 🗒️ A Curious Worldview!
Cheers for reading through to the end you legend!
Every month (or couple of weeks) I write a short, popular email.
In it, you will have your worldview expanded upon. It will either challenge your beliefs or open your eyes to something new. Never boring. Sometimes in will include things you don’t want to see. Sometimes it will be exactly what you were looking for.
It is free and the best thing you can do for me. If you are keen, chuck your email in below and then CHECK YOUR SPAM!
MAKE SURE YOU CHECK IF THE EMAIL GOES TO THE WRONG EMAIL FOLDER – PLEASE DRAG EMAIL INTO PRIMARY FOLDER