Blood Bankers, Tax Evasion & Corruption In The Developing World
🎙️ Listen To The Podcast With Jim Henry – Blood Bankers – On Apple Here – Spotify Here – Or Everywhere Else Here
Jim Henry is the author of Blood Bankers – an investigation into the capital flight of the developing world during the 80’s and 90’s. Jim’s book serves as a prequel to what has become the investigative industry of tax evasion.
His investigation for Blood Bankers takes him all through Latin America, from Venezuela to Nicaragua to Guatemala to Brazil then down to Argentina and across the world to the Philippines documenting the infamous Marcos regime. In these different parts of the world Jim discovers, again and again, corruption and capital flight where perennially, a corrupt few manage to syphon off billions of dollars in investment and aid for themselves, only to be re-routed into offshore accounts to be lost in the impossible maze of financial secrecy. Imelda Marcos, wife of the authoritarian leader of the Philippines during the 70s and early 80s to this day is rumoured to have billions of dollars, which is rightly that of the Filipino people, stuffed and hidden away in some amoral bankers hands.
Blood Bankers is the investigation into the finance of all this grubby business. A classic tale of following the money.
Jim Henry – Blood Bankers – Biography
Jim Henry is a Harvard educated economist and lawyer, one of the famous Nader Raiders, a former chief economist at McKinsey & Co, an investigative journalist, author and as you can imagine much more as well. He is a founding member of TJN, the Tax Justice Network and one of the leading voices on curtailing tax evasion and the proliferation of offshore activity.
He is currently the founder and managing director of the Sag Harbour Group, a consultancy for technology organisations.
In this podcast with Jim Henry & Blood Bankers, you can expect to learn…
- How Jim discovered Nixons off shore money
- The early history of tax havens
- Operating as chief economist at McKinsey during so much of the development crisis
- His thoughts on confessions of an economic hitman
- an example of the archetypal debt elephant – which is a hydro dam in brazil, whose damage is bordelrine unfathomable
- Implications of the underground economy
- Debt trap diplomacy
- Much, much more…
🎙️ Listen To This Podcast Jim Henry – Blood Bankers – On Apple Here – Spotify Here – Or Everywhere Else Here
SUBSCRIBE & LEAVE A REVIEW MATE 👍
Time Stamps For My Podcast With Jim Henry Blood Bankers & More…
- 00:00 – Introduction
- 08:04 – Jim’s Early Years
- 15:56 – Thinking About The Underground Economy
- 26:02 – Nixon Offshore Money
- 34:11 – Following The Money & Emphasising McKinsey & Co
- 45:26 – The Archetypal Economic Hitman Story & Jim’s Thoughts On Confessions Of An Economic Hitman
- 52:15 – The Philiipines & The Marcos Debacle
- 57:56 – Death On Hermila Marcos’s Hands
- 1:02:56 – Why Does Money Continue To Flow Into A Corrupt Regime?
- 1:09:25 – Defining Capital Flight & More On The Nuts & Bolds On The Money
- 1:23:14 – What Are The Incentives For The World Bank/IMF?
- 1:27:56 – A Question From Nicholas Shaxson – Poisioned Scrambled Eggs & Dangers In Investigation.
- 1:40:26 – Reflecting On Leaving The Corporate Life Behind To Write A Book
- 1:48:26 – Narrowing In On Brazil, The Archetypal Debt Elephant
- 2:06:21 – Mexico & Implications Of The Underground Economy
- 2:21:16 – Is Demand A Stronger Force Than Supply When It Comes To The Drug Trade?
- 2:27:56 – How Offshore Allows The Scale Of Criminal Organisations
- 2:34:20 – Chinese Debt Trap Diplomacy
- 2:38:00 – What Does Jim Think About Foreign Aid?
- 2:44:50 – What About The Ethics Of Tax Evasion?
- 2:56:10 – Jim On Russia
- 3:06:00 – What Country Is Jim Bullish On?
- 3:08:50 – Conversation Between Any Two People Of History?
- 3:11:38 – Afterthoughts
🎬 Watch This Podcast On Youtube Instead
Subscribe To My Newsletter – 🗒️ A Curious Worldview!
Cheers for reading through to the end you legend!
Every month (or couple of weeks) I write a short, popular email.
In it, you will have your worldview expanded upon. It will either challenge your beliefs or open your eyes to something new. Never boring. Sometimes in will include things you don’t want to see. Sometimes it will be exactly what you were looking for.
It is free and the best thing you can do for me. If you are keen, chuck your email in below and then CHECK YOUR SPAM!
MAKE SURE YOU CHECK IF THE EMAIL GOES TO THE WRONG EMAIL FOLDER – PLEASE DRAG EMAIL INTO PRIMARY FOLDER