Institutions Are Everything – They Come Before Politics – They Come Before Culture & They Come Before Geography & Economy
James Robinson is a British economist and political scientist. He studies what makes countries different by focusing on the underlying economic and political institutions that lead some to prosperity and others to conflict. He most famously co-authored the international best selling book, Why Nations Fail.
He has conducted research in many countries around the world including Botswana, Chile, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Haiti, the Philippines, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Colombia and I am sure many more as well.
The coolest and most insightful takeaway from ‘Why Nations Fail’ is the long explanation that distinguishes between inclusive and extractive institutions. This dynamic explains ultimately ‘Why Nations Fail’ and Why Nations Succeed. The book is strongly endorsed by Jared Diamond – which was the initial reason why I picked it up, but once you get into it it is the historical anecdotes that keep you around.
I could have spoken to James for hours, for me the most fascinating topic is how and why nations differ – so you can imagine, this chat meant specifically a lot to me.
Listen To My Interview With James Robinson – Co-Author Of Why Nations Fail
Time Stamps For My Interview With James Robinson
- 00:00 – Introduction
- 03:00 – James Relationship With The DRC.
- 06:50 – Why Is The DRC Wildly Under-Researched.
- 11:30 – How Does Multiculturalism & Diversity Effect Creating Inclusive Institutions?
- 15:20 – What Do You Mean A Lot Of Social Sciences Are Superficial?
- 17:55 – Nassim Taleb Procrustean Bed Metaphor.
- 19:38 – What’s Your Life Look Like? The International Researcher Economist.
- 25:42 – Where Did ‘Why Nations Fail’ Come From?
- 32:55 – Is Extractive/Inclusive As A Framework An Original Idea To ‘Why Nations Fail’?
- 35:00 – Disproving Classic Explanations For ‘Why Nations Fail’ & Explaining Why The Extractive/Inclusive Model Works.
- 43:30 – Definition Of Inclusive/Extractive From ‘Why Nations Fail’.
- 50:05 – James Interesting Take On Political Corruption.
- 54:00 – Latin America & The Drug War.
- 1:02:00 – What Country Or Region Are You Most Bullish On?
- 1:07:50 – Who Would You Witness A Conversation Between Any Two People Of History.
Links To James Robinson’s Work
- Link’s To Books & Articles Mentioned
Watch My Interview With James Robinson On Youtube Instead
Subscribe To My Newsletter – 🗒️ A Curious Worldview!
Cheers for reading through to the end you legend!
Every month (or couple of weeks) I write a short, popular email.
In it you will have your worldview expanded upon. It will either challenge your beliefs or open your eyes to something new. Never boring. Sometimes in will include things you don’t want to see. Sometimes it will be exactly what you were looking for.
It is free and the best thing you can do for me. If you are keen, chuck your email in below and then CHECK YOUR SPAM!
MAKE SURE YOU CHECK IF THE EMAIL GOES TO THE WRONG EMAIL FOLDER – PLEASE DRAG EMAIL INTO PRIMARY FOLDER